Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My airbrush machine

As you may already know, one of my favourite decorating tools is my airbrush. I couldn't live without it.  By popular demand, today's post is a review of my airbrush and below you'll find a video on the subject.

There are many different units on the market, all with varying capabilities & price. I'll start by showing you my first airbrush which was given to me as a Christmas gift. 


This unit is priced at around $130. It is very similar to the unit available at Michael's craft store. I've read that some have picked it up at Michael's with the 40% off coupon (reducing the price to approx. $80), which "seems" like a good deal. Let's not forget that you need colours with the unit, a box of 12 colours (the small size) will run you about an extra $15.

The positives of this unit are that it is compact and readily available in stores. The negatives are that I found it to be mediocre quality, made of plastic. The gun that comes with the unit only lasted about 6 months. I purchased a replacement on Ebay but now my air trap has a leak which has put this unit out of commission for good.

With my airbrush gone, I was in grave need of a replacement.  After some research, I decided on a Master Airbrush unit. I have been using it for the last couple of weeks and to date I am very satisfied.  I was looking for something not too expensive that would allow me to do more detailed paintings.  I've found that the regulator on the compressor gives me more control over airflow and therefore I can produce a better finished product, additionally the gun works very well.

In this video I show you the machine as well as a painting demonstration.


Here is the CRAZY part, the Master Airbrush machine is less expensive than my first unit. A new one is priced at $89.96, add on a box of Amerimist colours and you are still priced under the first machine.


If you want to see the airbrush in action, watch the video below. I am decorating an actual cake with it.